About This Career
Valve Technicians are responsible for installing, maintaining, inspecting, testing, dismantling, cleaning, and repairing mechanical regulating and controlling devices used to control, direct and measure the flow of oil and gas at the wellhead through gathering lines, pipelines and in plants. This includes equipment such as electric meters, gas regulators, thermostats, safety and flow valves.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is required. Mechanical aptitude along with specific technical training on valves and valve repair is an asset. Some employers will prefer a diploma in instrumentation, electrical, electrical or mechanical engineering technology.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Valve Assembler, Field Service Technician, Service Technician, Pipeline Technician
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Hvac (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) technologist
Posted on Jul 02 2019
By aire one heating and cooling inc.Markham Dependant upon experience
Posted on Jun 28 2019
By rl prostaff inc.Mississauga Dependant upon experience
Long Periods of Standing
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Chemical manufacturing
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Paper manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Utilities, including renewable energy
- Wood product manufacturing
Technicians and Technologists
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Other health and safety training requirements to be determined by specific job requirements.
- Class 5 driver’s licence and a clean driving record