About This Career
Environmental Advisors assist in the development, administration and promotion of programs related to Environmental, Health and Safety policies and programs. They have broad technical experience in environmental issues, planning, fisheries and regulatory compliance. They conduct research, prepare reports, and provide advice for meeting regulatory requirements and standards.
Environmental Advisors conduct risk assessments and site inspections that assist in the preparation of regulatory approvals, permitting applications, environmental field reports and environmental screenings. This work includes identifying sensitivities and potential hazards and determining ways to reduce risks and meet applicable standards and regulations.
Environmental Advisors can specialize in soil, air, water and land-related issues.
In addition to standard computer equipment, Environmental Advisors use sampling, monitoring, analysis and testing tools.
Employment: This occupation is found in onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in exploration and production, oil sands, oil and gas services, and pipeline sectors of the oil and gas industry.
Education: This role requires an undergraduate degree or diploma in environmental or geological sciences. A post-graduate degree may be considered an asset.
Example Titles: Environment Health and Safety Advisor, Environment Impact Analyst, and Environmental Program Officer.
- Environmental Analyst
- Environmental Planner
- Environmental Technician
- Safety Advisor or Agrologist
- The following are examples of progressive or lateral career paths associated with this occupation:
- There are no recent job postings
Mild Physical Activity
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Chemical manufacturing
- Forestry and logging
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
- Mining and quarrying
- Non-residential and residential building construction
- Paper manufacturing
- Petroleum and coal product manufacturing
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Public administration, including regulatory
- Rail transportation
- Utilities, including renewable energy
Business and Operations Support
Oil and gas services
Exploration and production
- Post-secondary degree
- Knowledge of environmental permit and approval requirements
- Knowledge of environmental mitigation and protection planning measures