About This Career
Insulators apply insulation on all the plumbing, heating and cooling systems, piping equipment, and pressure vessels to reduce the transfer of heat, cold, sound and the chance of fire. When they aren't insulating new construction projects, Insulators focus on repairs and maintenance. If a pipe breaks at, for instance, they remove the insulation so people can repair and retest the pipes beneath.
Insulators know the types, amounts and installation methods required for different conditions including location, surface shape and equipment use.
Education: A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically required.
Employment: This occupation is found in both onshore and offshore environments and is typically employed in the oil and gas services sector of the oil and gas industry.
Example titles: Boiler and Pipe Insulator, Building Insulator, Firestopping Insulator, Heat and Frost Insulator
- Supervisory positions
- Here are the two most recent postings:
Posted on Sep 25 2017
By Great northern insulation contracting ltd.Barrie Dependant upon experience
Posted on Sep 25 2017
By Great northern insulation contracting ltd.Port perry Dependant upon experience
As Canada prepares for the launch of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector, this occupation will play a
key role in:
- Off-site fabrication
- LNG export facility construction
- Natural gas pipeline construction
- Turnaround maintenance
When LNG takes off, you can be a part of the action!
Working from Heights
Some Overtime Required
Careers also exist in the following industries:
- Construction of buildings (residential and non-residential)
- Heavy and civil engineering construction
Oil and gas services
- High School Diploma (or equivalent)
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program is required to become a certified tradesperson. Another route into apprenticeship training is a pre-apprenticeship foundation program.
- The Red Seal endorsement is the interprovincial standard of excellence, and is available to tradespersons upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)
- Pipeline Construction Safety Training (PCST)
- H2S Alive
- Asbestos Safety
- Fall Protection
- Confined Space Entry