Innovation is helping the oil and gas industry become more safe,
efficient, productive and less environmentally intrusive. Here are
just a few examples of new technologies making differences in the
- Injecting CO2 into reservoirs not only takes carbon
out of the air, but also enhances oil and gas recovery.
- Coiled tubing - continuous tube on
reels up 10,000 metres long - is used for fast and efficient
drilling and servicing of wells.
- Directional drilling allows companies
to reach several underground reservoirs from a single well pad.
With directional drilling, companies can avoid disturbing sensitive
lands, water bodies or migration paths.
- In Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage
(SAGD), steam is pumped into the reservoir to heat and
sands bitumen, which is then pumped out of the
- GPS is used to target seismic lines,
streamline transportation and enhance safety of workers and the
- Using SCADA, companies can monitor
wells remotely and avoid driving to each site.
- Environmentally friendly drilling
fluids help service companies
protect the land and water surrounding a wellsite.
For more innovation information, visit: